If you’re following the grind and pack suggestions but not getting good vapor, the two most likely culprits are the lid and the mouthpiece.
The lid needs to be seated evenly. If it’s not on there properly, air will leak into the vapor stream and thin it out.
If the mouthpiece is not installed correctly, usually you can see that it's off a bit, but not always. Gently, push the mouthpiece straight into the unit and see if it clicks into place a little better. If it isn’t installed correctly, vapor production will come to a halt.
Finally, make sure your batteries are fully charged!
Some people find the Firefly 2 a little finicky, but for me, it seems to have been designed for how I love to vape!
I don’t like using grinders because I think they take some of the taste away, and I love the wispy, ultra-flavorful first hits I get using whole herbs. So when I heard this was a convection vape that liked to be packed I figured it might work well with whole, unground herbs...turns out it does!
HERE’S HOW I DO IT:
- Start by cramming some unground herbs into the bowl. I like it to be tight, but still have some room between the herbs and the glass window. Most of all, I don’t want any air gaps between the herbs and the sides of the bowl. I want the hot air to be forced into the herbs, not around them.
- Set the temp to where you want it. I start on Med-High.
- Hold both buttons (assuming you didn’t change the settings to use one button) and wait for the green light to stop blinking, and you’ll see the distinctive orange Firefly glow of the bowl.
- Now start to draw slowly, increasing speed during the draw. The unit will auto-shutoff after 30 seconds, and if it happens during your draw and you want to keep going, just give one of the buttons a quick release to restart the timer. (The light will go out when you let go of the button and will come right back on after you touch it again.) All of your hits will be wispy and tasty until you crumble up the herbs.
- Take two or three hits, depending on the moisture content of your herbs, and then open the unit up and flip the unground herbs. Cram them back down in there and close the lid and get back to it.
- Take one to three more hits, again depending on moisture content.
- Then open it up again and crumble up your herbs. I like to dump it into my palm and crush it with my fingers. If done right, you won’t get any sticky residue on your fingers. If you do, then you need to give it a couple more hits to dry it out more before ‘the crumble’. After crumbling, pour the herbs back onto the unit and push them into the bowl.
- If you left a little space between the herbs and the window when you started, your crumbled herbs will fill the bowl more than when they were unground. Just tamp them down into the bowl. A light to medium tamp will work fine. If you got aggressive and filled the bowl to the top with unground herbs, it will probably be a little too full after the crumble.
- After repacking, go back to hitting it like before, but be ready for some thicker vapor!
- Use it until the vapor production fades and then open it up and stir the bowl contents (again, I just dump it onto my palm and then back into the Firefly). You should be able to get a few more good hits after stirring. Repeat until your herbs are depleted.